Responsible Gambling Guide in India
Online gambling is entertaining and fun. However, sometimes it can be emotional and controlling. Depending on whether we win or lose, betting brings us elated joy or disappointment. Recent research shows that over 50% of Indian male citizens engage in gambling, and about 7% of them are fighting gambling problems. It is, therefore, essential to exercise safe and controlled betting to avoid problem gambling and maintain our physical and emotional health.
Online gaming should be a way of entertainment and leisure but not a way to earn a living, as many perceive it. Most sportsbook operators advise players to wager within their budget limits to avoid overspending. At Bettingstes24.co.in, we believe in gaming responsibly is healthy, safe, and fun. In this extensive guide, we will discuss the meaning of responsible gaming, as well as how to detect and manage problem gambling.
So What Is Responsible Gambling?
Responsible gambling is gaming in a manner that does not have a negative effect on your personal life and the people around you. It is wagering with limits by not letting emotions and greed dictate the course of the game. When betting is no longer fun and exciting, it not only becomes destructive to the player in question and to friends and family.
Responsible Gambling is an igaming industry’s initiative to help bettors avoid gaming problems and assist those experiencing such issues control their play. There are 7 fundamentals of responsible gambling that players should take into account when betting.
- Wager what you can afford to lose
- Gamble when you are free or have a dedicated time to do so
- Online gaming is not a source of income, but a form of entertainment and hobby
- Do not chase your losses
- Always wager with a strategy
- Avoid bringing emotions to the table
- Get in touch with support organizations
Spotting Responsible Betting Sites in India
Most well-known Indian betting sites feature responsible gambling sections in their websites and mobile applications. Players will find numerous messages about stopping betting when it is no longer fun. Besides, you will find links to organizations where you can seek help if you think your gambling has gone too far.
However, not all Indian betting sites are equal when it comes to responsible gameplay. The reason behind this could be variations in licenses.
To know whether a betting site has a reliable, responsible gambling profile, you need to check out their license. The most commonly known strict authorities are the UK’s Gambling Commission and the Malta Gaming Authority. A bookmaker having a license from a reputable regulator shows its focus on safe gameplay.
Understanding the Meaning of Problem Gambling
Problem gambling is gaming in a way that negatively affects your personal life and the people around you. It is the opposite of responsible gambling. When betting no longer brings entertainment to you, it’s a sign that Just like abuse of alcohol and other illicit drugs, gambling can also be addictive.
If you let your greed and emotions lead your gaming, you might end up losing lots of money trying to chase your losses. Most of the players experiencing problem gambling live in denial and are ashamed of their situation, which leads to destructive gambling actions.
How do you know you are Experiencing Problem Gambling?
Most players experiencing problem gambling do not actually know they are until serious damages begin to reveal. We have compiled a list of traits that define problem gamblers.
Thinking about gambling all the time
If you find yourself thinking and prioritizes gambling over your other daily activities, the chances are that you are a problem gambler. When you allow betting to take over your mind, it becomes a habit and can be problematic. Gambling should not be an everyday activity and should not interfere with your career, school, or daily activities.
Trying to quit gambling in vain
You might have realized that betting is not working for you and at some point decided to quit, but you still go back. At times some of your close friends and family advice you to stop, but you are unable to forego gaming completely. If you are in such a situation, you need to seek help from support organizations, as that is an alarming sign of problem gambling.
Wanting to wager more to achieve the same degree of ‘thrill’
In case you feel like placing more bets and risking more to experience the same thrill as before, you need to take the necessary measures. This is a condition affecting your brain and is a sign of addiction.
Chasing your losses
Chasing losses is driven by emotions. When we lose a certain amount in betting, we want to keep playing to recover our money, which turns out to even bigger losses. This is mainly a result of betting with money that we cannot afford to lose. Bettingsites24 India, therefore, advises players to stick to their budget limits and accept that not all days are winning days.
Using gambling as a relief from stress
If you are using gambling to find relief from a stressful day or occurrence, it is an indicator of problematic gameplay. Betting should not be a way of calming you down but rather a hobby or source of entertainment.
Having withdrawal symptoms
Just like drug addicts, players can also experience withdrawal symptoms when they are not playing. If you feel angry, stressed, or sad when you are not betting, you need to seek support and advice.
Using gambling as a way of celebrating achievements
Using gambling to celebrate achievements such as job promotions, birthdays, anniversaries, and more is an alarming sign of problem gaming. It might seem usual but could be an issue if it becomes a habit.
Stealing to afford gambling money
Most problem gamblers will ask for money from friends and family with the idea of refunding, which does not happen. Some may even be involved in crimes when they have nothing to gamble with. It is a serious issue that needs quick intervention to avoid severe damages.
Lying to our family and friends about your betting habits
Lying to the close people around you about your betting habits is alarming. If you are not honest with your family on the amount you spend on gambling and more, you are probably experiencing problems.
A self- assessment-check is essential to help you gauge your gambling habits—a set of statements to help you rate your gaming habits from 0 to 15. Self-assessment-checks are usually provided by responsible gambling support organizations. In our case, we have one from Gamcare, which one of the popular organizations in the industry. Here are the 15 YES/NO self-assessment-check statements.
- Sometimes I gamble for longer than I intend
- Sometimes I lose track of time when betting
- People close to me say that I spend a lot of time gambling
- I devote my time to betting when I should be doing other things
- I spend more on gambling than I intend
- At times, I try to win back the money that I have lost before in gambling
- Sometimes I spend money meant for other things to gamble
- Sometimes borrow gambling money from family and friends
- I hide my gambling habits from family and friends, i.e., the time I spend betting and money
- My family and friends think I gamble too much
- I get angry and sad when I remember the amount I have lost in gambling
- At times betting leaves me short of cash
- When I do not have a chance to gamble, I feel restless
- At times, I feel bad when I think about my betting habits
- Sometimes my gambling habits make me feel irritated
What to do if have Problem Gambling
After answering the questions above and find out that you are experiencing problem gambling, the next step is seeking help. You need to admit that you have a gambling issue, and you need support and recovery. There four different ways to do get help.
- Reach out for help from support groups like Gamcare and Gamblers Anonymous (GA)
- Consult your doctor for withdrawal medication
- Search for therapy programs and get in touch with professional therapists
- Check the available rehabilitation centers in India and visit one
You can choose one of the above approaches or combine them depending on the level of severity.
What to do if a Friend or a Family Member has Problem Gambling
It is painful to watch our loved ones suffer from gambling problems. If you have a friend or family member experiencing this, you can advise them to seek help from support groups like Gamcare and Gamblers Anonymous.
Besides, you can find out where they gamble and contact the support agents of the betting site to see what solutions they have. You can also find a therapy program for them. Do not try to help the player in question by giving them money to gamble. Have patience in them and encourage them by confirming that you will be there when they need you.
Tools to Help you avoid or Recover from Problem Gambling
Most betting sites have tools to help their customers gamble responsibly. The aim of sportsbook operators is to offer entertainment and fun to their players, and no one wants their customers to lose all they own. Utilizing at least one of these tools is essential, along with answering the self-assessment frequently.
- Deposit limit- Here, you set the maximum amount you can deposit on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
- Betting limit- Setting the limit on the amount you can use to wager
- Loss limit- Setting a limit of the amount you can stand to lose
- Session limit- Setting the limit of the maximum time you can use to wager
- Time alert- Reminds of the time you have spent in betting, the amount used, and whether you have won or lost.
- Betting history- It shows all the bets you have placed. It can help you gauge your gambling habits.
- Self-exclusion- Taking a break from gambling for a specific period
When do you Set Self- Exclusion?
Self-exclusion is a policy set by betting sites to help problem gamblers to take a break for a specific period, mostly from six months. Note that once the policy is enforced, it cannot be terminated under any circumstances until the agreed period expires. Further, you can block yourself from joining any other betting platform by use of the following tools.
An Anti-gambling software that blocks access to all betting sites and prevents any gambling ads from popping up on your screen. That way, you cannot sign-up on another sportsbook.
Gamban blocks all gambling-related sites on all your devices. For instance, if you close your Be365 account, you receive a free Gamban subscription.
CyberSitter & NetNanny
The two softwares enable you to block content that you should not be exposed to children like gambling, drugs, and adult content.
When do you Seek Help?
Blocking betting sites is not the only solution to solving the problem of gambling. This alone may not work, and you will need to go a step ahead and seek help from one or more support organizations. Here are some of the popular organizations that will help you.
- BeGambleAware- This is a support program provided by the Gambling Treatment Service to help problem gamblers.
Hope Trust India-An Indian based treatment facility meant for psychological wellness. They help people overcome various forms of addictions through a 12-step program.
- GamCare- This is a UK-based organization that helps people with problem gambling across the world.
- Gamblers Anonymous (GA)-It entails a group of individuals coming together to share their experiences and help each other overcome problem gambling.
- Gambling Therapy- It is an online portal with professionals who help players overcome problem gambling. The services are free of charge.
- Rehabs.in- It is a website that helps problem gamblers and people with other forms of addiction find rehab centers around them.
Gambling should only be a source of entertainment and fun. Most people take betting to be a source of income and invest their emotions, which becomes problematic. If it is no longer fun, it is essential to call it quit or seek some help.
Problem gambling could negatively affect your physical and emotional wellbeing and even the people around you. That said; ensure you do a self-assessment-check frequently to gauge your gambling habits. Have fun, and remember to gamble responsibly.
Betting Offers In India
Are you on the hunt for the best betting offers in India? If so, you’ve…
Best MuchBetter Betting Sites in India
With multiple mobile wallets being introduced in the market today, it might be challenging to…
Indian Gambling Laws
Indian gambling a bit complicated. Despite the popularity of gambling in the country, it is…
Best Paysafecard Betting Sites in India
When betting online on your favorite sport, you want to make quick, safe, and private…
Paytm Betting Sites in India
Paytm is a popular banking method among the Indian online betting enthusiasts. Using Paytm to…
Astropay Betting Sites in India
Astropay has become a popular payment option in India in recent years. It provides Indian…